[Reddes.bvs-tech] Report on the 2nd online presentation of ISIS & JISIS

spinaker spinaker at adinet.com.uy
Wed May 23 19:47:44 BRST 2012

*Versión en español se envió en mensaje separado*
Dear colleagues

It is with pleasure that we deliver the second report of activities of
videos of the week.
Later we'll send the public URL to view the presentation on Friday which
will be open to everybody without registering

_Report on the 2nd online presentation from the Antwerp workshop_

As you all know already, during this week we are working in a closed
workshop to prepare the next release of ABCD, organized by Egbert de
Smet and sponsored by his project DOCBIBLAS of VLIR.

On behalf of this workshop we have planned, together with Bireme, to
broadcast 4 online presentation in real time about some advanced
technologies which are being incorporated into the ISIS family. See
below the program of the presentations.

For today's presentation, related to */J-ISIS & Digital Libraries/*:
*Advances and new feautures of J-ISIS*, we had up to 28 institutions
connected with participation of more than 40 people. The presentation
was held in English and Spanish and lasted about 1hour15 minutes.

The demonstration (by J-C Dauphin) showed the principal characteristics
in comparison with WinISIS which it will replace, and also in comparison
with other ISIS family applications. The principal points to note are :

*FOSS: free and open source software*

-Keeps all WinISIS features and removes the technological limits

-Client/Server architecture

-Maintains the enormous knowledge base and experience of thousands of
ISIS family users

-Works on a local PC or in a local network or in WWW

-In Windows, Linux and Mac

-UNICODE

*J-ISIS -- versions*

-Versión Desktop

  * Small libraries with just one PC and without internet connection or
    knowledge of WWW
  * Simple installation «out-of-the-box»

-Web: Rich Internet Application (RIA) with the same basic functions
(edit, browse, search) as the Desktop

*J-ISIS -- principal characteristics*

-Compatibility with earlier versions (ISO2709)

-Keeps the Master File principles, but replaced by Berkeley DB Java Edition

-Simple and direct conversión of FDT, FST, FMT, PFT

-Keeps the Formatting Language and adds instructions for XHTML, CISIS,
and possibilities of .CCS, JavaScript

-IsisPascal replaced by Groovy, adding methods and clases

-Powerful editor to create PFT's and worksheets

-Inverted File using Apache Lucene but with direct inferface to the ISIS FST

*J-ISIS -- límits*

-Master file size : 256 GB (standard)

-Max records/master 231-1 = 2.147.483.647

-Max field length 2 GB

-Max record length 2 GB

-Max. Fields per record : no limit

-Max. Occurrences in a field : no limit

-Max. FST lines : no limit

The software, along with manuals, can be downloaded at
:http://kenai.com/projects/j-isis/downloads

You can see the video linking to this URL

https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2012-05-23.0339.M.9C7C0C8797B92C9FF9AEB7AC0D8BB9.vcr&sid=1110
<https://sas.elluminate.com/site/external/jwsdetect/playback.jnlp?psid=2012-05-23.0339.M.9C7C0C8797B92C9FF9AEB7AC0D8BB9.vcr&sid=1110>

Regards

Ernesto Spinak & Egbert de Smet

*PROGRAM*

Presentations will last 60 minutes, starting at 11:am in Sao Paulo, since BIREME will provide the videoconferencing server.

BIREME has reserved 90 minutes broadcasting by this channel, in case there are some delays, but in principle we will be punctual.

In order to know which is the time in your country based on Brazil's 11:00 am, check on this map to see the time difference in hours in between Sao Paulo and your place.

http://24timezones.com/reloj_hora_exacta.php

*Day*

*title*

*presenter*

*language*

Tuesday

*/ISIS-OAI-Provider/*

Availing ISIS databases with the OAI-PMH protocol

Renato Mursaki

Vinicius Andrade

Spanish

Wednesday

*/J-ISIS & Digital Libraries/*

Advances and new feautures of J-ISIS

Jean-Claude Dauphine

Egbert de Smet

English

Thursday

*/iAHx/*/:/An interface for searching and retrieval using SOLR/Lucene

Renato Mursaki

Vinicius Andrade

Spanish

Friday